Sunday, November 06, 2005

O.A.R.

For those of you who aren't familiar with O.A.R. (Of a Revolution), they are best described as a jam band. Last night they played at CY Stephens auditorium and Ames and hubby and I went to the show. Stephens is probably the best place (if you ask me) in Iowa to see any show. The acoustics are wonderful and the venue is somewhat intimate. It was probably one of the best (if not THE best) shows I have been to. The crowd was feelin' it and the energy was great.

There were 2 opening acts: Toby Lightman & Michael Tolcher. Toby was great, she had a couple songs most would recognize. "Devils & Angels" is a song they play on the radio, and "Real Love" is a great rendition. Who sings the original, anyone remember? Her voice is pretty amazing. I would rate the crowds reaction to Toby as "feelin' it". Tolcher and had a good band and a decent voice, but didn't seem to be upbeat enough to get the crowd moving. I think everyone was entertained, but from a moving your body around to the music standpoint, I am going to have to say "not feelin' it".

O.A.R. was fab. They came out and everyone was up and moving. They played many of their great songs: "About Mr. Brown", "Hey Girl", and "I Feel Home" to name a few. For a jam band sounding group, they did manage to play a decent amount of reggae inspired beats. Can you say contact high? To be sure, there was something going on in Stephens last night. They played non-stop for a good hour and a half before breaking into the best song of the night (in my humble opinion), "That Was A Crazy Game of Poker". The crowd went NUTS! Everyone was singing along and dancing. It was incredible. Looooved it.

O.A.R did a fair amount of speaking to the crowd (always important to me at a show) and told the crowd it was the best venue they have been to on this tour. It was apparent they were getting into the crowds approval and excitement for the band. Everyone was having a great night with O.A.R. I would go to another one of their shows in a heartbeat.

Concert Call (shows I have been to):
Smashing Pumpkins
Guns and Roses
Dave Matthews Band
Billy Joel
Phish
Tori Amos
Ani Difranco
B.B. King
Matchbox 20
Stevie Wonder
Pearl Jam
Jimmy Buffett
Kenny Chesney
Bob Dylan

Hmmm, I feel like there are more for the list. Can't remember this early in the morning I guess.

What about you? What has been your favorite show(s)?

In summary, could not have been a better way to spend my b-day night...thanks for putting up with my music taste honey!! (I saw you groovin' too) :)

3 comments:

Libby said...

So, this is a post after my own heart. I spent my college years as a show junkie in New Orleans. Literally, I went to at least one, usually more, show a week. Those were the days.
Some of the best I've ever seen:
Paul Simon/ Bob Dylan (x2)
Cowboy Junkies
Indigo Girls (x3)
Dave Matthews Band
Counting Crows
Live
John Mellencamp
Depeche Mode
The Samples
Widespread Panic
Van Morrison
I could go on, but those are some of the most memorable. I think part of a show is the experience: the crowd, the company you came with, etc. They all have to come together to create the perfect show...

Webbies said...

Ooh, I forgot about Bob Dylan..I saw him too! Need to update my list!

Knittripps said...

The best concert I ever saw was Concrete Blonde at the First Avenue Club in Minneapolis, of course! I myself have seen Bob Dylan (once with Paul Simon and once with Willy Nelson), Prince, Billy Joel, U2, Guns and Roses, Tori Amos, B.B. King, Genesis, and I am sure some other pretty good concerts I am forgetting. Prince was outstanding by the way.