Sunday, May 20, 2007

Clessidra Progress


Another beautiful sunny day in Iowa. This has been a relaxing weekend for me and hubbs. We are busy planning the necessary updates, tweaks, and deep cleaning needed to get our condo listed. Our condo has been good to us (great location, end unit...), but now after 3.5 years, it is time to move on. We need more space for our growing family (fur babies have multiplied since our first kitty Hero)! Ein keeps telling us he would like his own backyard to romp in and chase those wascally wabbits. Hubbs has been talking about his "man cave" for years....not to mention the room for his growing bike fleet (I think that he is up to 9). The burbs offer larger homes in our range, but we both have a tough time leaving the charming neighborhoods of the metro.

As for Clessidra, sock one is done! Quite a bit of modification to get the size down (even using size 1's). First, I cast on 68 stitches instead of 76 (the reduced # of stitches I took out of the stockinette area on the sides for decreasing). I ended up doing less of the 11 round decrease rounds, and more aggressive decreasing on the heel flap so that I was working only with 10 slipped stitches along the flap instead of 19. Lots of mini mod's. I will try to post the final modifications after I do sock 2 and check my work for those interested! KnitPick's Gloss has been nice yarn to work with, I only hope that after all of this work, these knee socks are durable!

After seeing my pic of Rose, you are probably looking for some pictures of a nice full bobbin. Well, I am having a difficult time getting the hang of it. I am not able to get the fiber to draw in around the bobbin. I have been using the handy "troubleshooting" section from the manual that came with the wheel and have bit by bit been eliminating the usual suspects (tension, leader...you name it). The flyer hook and orifice seem to be where I am getting stuck which leads me to believe that I am not threading the flyer correctly. I need visuals! Well, my dear sis is going to learn spinning with me at the 3rd annual Iowa Sheep & Wool Festival in a few weeks. I don't know if I can wait though, Rose keeps on asking me to get her spinning! Any tips? Anyone with a Rose out there, or anyone who has used one?

3 comments:

Kara said...

That sock is just gorgeous! Now you have to just get the second one done. Cake walk. ;)

Knittripps said...

Beautiful sock! Post the modification so that you can remember them later. Maybe some day I will want to knit Clessidra too! I would say that she is State Fair worthy. Oh, and I think I read in the app that they want you to include the pattern you used. Or maybe I am making that up.

kathy b said...

You wowed me with that sock. Just outstanding. Something to aspire to in my sock repotoire.