Monday, July 11, 2005

Vacationing: Colorado, hiking, biking, knitting...what could be better?

Ah, vacations. Gotta love the break from the routine. My hubby and I just got back from Colorado with my parents. I absolutely love Colorado, especially Breckenridge. What a beautiful place. We were there over the 4th and enjoyed some fireworks. We biked, we hiked, we lounged.

One of the exciting parts of the trip was that my hubby did a mountain bike race on the 4th of July called the Firecracker 50. This was a 50 mile race that was made up of 2 twenty five mile loops....totally over 5,800 feet of elevation climbs! It was really fun to watch all of the riders line up the beginning of the parade and start racing as they left town and started the climb up Boreas Pass. My hubby did a great job, considering the change in altitude. Unfortunately, he had to stop after the first loop because he wasn't feeling well. They had several aid stations on the course for riders to refuel and drink water. Nothing tasted good, and he wasn't able to drink the liquids he needed. Yup, the altitude had gotten to him. He wasn't really sore, but just wasn't able to eat and drink like he needed too and it was beginning to throw him off. He was disappointed to find out later that if he would have kept going at his same pace for the 2nd loop, he would have gotten 6th place in his age group and class. I am very proud of his effort...definitely not something I could do. Yay Hubby!

Yes, knitting was done....much knitting. From the pictures below you can see that I finished Clapotis, did another One Skein Wonder, and also some silly little yarn squares out of pure fidgeting and a need for more knitting.

Now I am relaxed and ready to get back into the routine again! And, guess what?! This week is knitting group so I had better start another project!

No comments: