Sunday, February 10, 2008

Getting Ready for Baby

Yesterday Hubbs and I did the Express Child Prep class at our hospital (no 5 week lamaze program for us). Unfortunately, I have been suffering from the worst cold the last few days...worse than any cold I can remember other than back when I used to get bronchitus. I think what makes the cold so tough is the lack of meds I can take. I called my Dr.'s office on Friday to see if I needed to come in (being now in week 32 of pregnancy) and they said to come in if my temp was above 100. It was at 99.7, so I decided to persevere and mope about at home. Hubbs has been helping to keep me alive by brining me soup and the appropriate pregnancy-friendly meds. I think I am finally pulling through 3 days later. So, back to Child Prep....

Class started with some lovely lullaby music which Hubbs immediately recognized as the Beatles. Wow, has everyone seen all of the cool baby music the Rockababy people are putting out? We quickly ordered the Beatles and Led Zepplin, music that is definitely more Hubbs style, but I can tolerate the Beatles in lullabye form. I must be one of the few people out there with a distaste for the Beatles...or maybe just a distaste for Beatles fanatics....don't hold it against me :) Check out the music samples on Amazon....pretty cool, huh?

Child Prep was pretty eye-opening. Lots of information and I don't know if it is any more comforting to know EXACTLY what to expect (from a medical procedural standpoint), but still good information to know to cut down stress and be more prepared for the big event. I do think the best part was learning some relaxation techniques and of course Hubbs getting to practice different massage techniques to keep me comforted :)

There is really quite a bit more to the class than all of that, but being a sicky for the duration of the full-day ordeal I was only partially there in mind. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their winter weather....we just got another cold blast here in the Midwest....silly groundhog.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Sorry to hear about your cold. I'm glad you're pulling through it alright especially without meds!

Knittripps said...

Interesting cds, Hubs would likely pick the Pink Floyd cd and I would go with Bob Marley and possibly the Cure.

Anonymous said...

Ugh a cold and pregnant? You poor thing.

I like that the name of the one day class is "Express" Child Prep. Maybe you'll get the "express" delivery and not have to labor very long! Seriously though, practice your breathing techniques. It's what kept me from freaking out.